A DUI conviction in California can mean severe consequences for life. However, an experienced DUI attorney in San Diego can help you get your DUI conviction wiped off your record.
Benefits of DUI Expungement
- Your conviction doesn’t show up on background checks for job and loan applications.
- You can qualify for professional licenses and professional organizations hassle-free.
- You are no longer burdened with the stigma of a criminal record.
3 Steps to DUI Expungement
#1 Check Your Eligibility
You can petition the court to remove DUI off your record, if you –
- did not serve time in state prison as part of your sentence
- are not currently being charged with any other crime in California
- have completed all of your sentence requirements, including paying all fines and fees and completing mandatory classes and community service and your DUI probationary term
#2 Understand the Process
Once you filed the necessary paperwork with the court, your case will be reviewed by a judge. If the judge grants your request, you will have to withdraw your plea of guilty and re-enter a not-guilty plea. Your case is dismissed.
DUI expungement process may vary from county to county. In California, the average time from filing papers with the court to the time your dismissal is granted, is about 6-12 weeks.
Remember that –
- A DUI expungement will not overturn the period of your driver’s license suspension or revocation
- A DUI is a “priorable” offense in California – DUI penalties increase with every DUI conviction you get within a ten-year period. That means, if your conviction is expunged but you are convicted of another DUI, you may be get harsher penalties with a second-time DUI.
#3 Seek A DUI Attorney
A DUI dismissal is dependent on the specific circumstances as well as your judge. It is critical to present a strong case to the court that you deserve to have your conviction wiped off your record. Hence, it would be wiser to seek an experienced DUI lawyer who can help you with the California law and enable you to get your DUI expunged from your record!