California was the first state in the United States to legalize medicinal marijuana in 1996 and the fifth to make recreational pot legal. But there are still many unanswered questions about legal marijuana possession in California.
Amount of Marijuana one can possess legally
The amount that one can carry in California depends on the type of marijuana. People older than 21 years of age can carry and consume either –
- up to 1 ounce of marijuana flowers or the bud, or
- 8 grams of concentrates (including oil), or
- approximately 57 joints containing half a gram of flowers, or
- 16 cartridges for vape pens, or
- 40 brownies or 80 packs of gummy bears
Since the amounts contained within different edibles vary, it is important to check the exact amounts before carrying or consuming marijuana.
Other Laws about Marijuana Possession
1. You are not allowed to walk around in public while consuming. You can only consume marijuana on private property.
2. It is illegal to carry or consume marijuana while driving. If you do so, it is a crime that falls under the DUI category and can result in fine, jail time, and license suspension.
Highly skilled San Diego criminal defense attorneys will fight on every front, from the moment of the arrest.